27 December 2014

On heroes, fear, and helping

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pagedooley/2788648775/  
When times seem to be dark and full of fear and hate, I remember quotes from two people that I admire. One is well known, the other, less so, but both cut from the same cloth.

Mister Rogers once said "When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world." - See more at: http://www.fredrogers.org/parents/special-challenges/tragic-events.php#sthash.dzJMpjsa.dpuf

Anton Schmid, born in Vienna, and drafted into the German army in World War II.  He used his position to help Jews escape, supplied information to the Jewish Resistance, and helped in whatever way he could.  During an attempt to help others escape, Schmid was captured and sentenced to die.  He wrote one last letter home to his wife and child and said: "I only acted as a human being and desired doing harm to no one." “Everybody must die some day,” he wrote. “One can die as an executioner or as a helper. I want to die as a helper.  (Read more about Anton here, here, here, here, and here.

May we all live our lives to be better helpers.

No comments: